You’re a DIY musician who's tired of the major label system… We feel your pain.
Or maybe you do want to get signed – in which case you should pay close attention.
Brian Mazzaferri and his band I Fight Dragons have been on both sides of the major label fence, and they've seen firsthand how hard it is for artists to get their work out there without being tied down by a label.
But, there’s good news as well.
There are methods that will allow you to keep your independence while still getting your music heard by millions of people all over the world!
Listen now to hear Brian Mazzaferri of I Fight Dragon describe how you can use creative techniques to keep your band afloat and make music that your fans will love, without paying out of pocket!
What you’ll learn:
- How the 1,000 true fans model has become more viable over the past decade
- Why having the right manager (not just a manager) is important to your career
- How I Fight Dragons was able to negotiate out of a major label deal
- What opportunity cost is and how it affects your career
- How to use creative fundraising techniques for your band
- Why unique, limited edition collectibles are a value-add for your fans
- Why targeting fans of big bands isn’t the right way to grow your fanbase
- What you can do to adapt Patreon to your needs
- Why you need to shift from what you want to what your fans want
- How hustling grows your fanbase
Discuss this episode
Click here to join the discussion in our Facebook community.
To help keep Bandhive going, we sometimes use affiliate links. This means that if you buy something using one of the links below we may get a small commission. This absolutely does not affect what you pay for any of the linked items – your price will be the same whether you use our links or not. This trickle of income is what helps us keep the free content flowing!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Find I Fight Dragons online
I Fight Dragons website
I Fight Dragons Patreon
Get I Fight Dragons’ latest album for free!
Cyber PR article about 1,000 true fans
– Cool Is Just a Number (EP, 2009)
– Welcome to the Breakdown (EP, 2010)
– Kaboom! (2011)
– Project Atma (Kickstarter campaign)
– The Near Future (2014)
– Canon Eyes (2019)
– Side Quest (fall 2021)
– “I Fight Ganon”
– “It’s Not Me It’s You”
Alive In Barcelona
Pinnacle Pro Sound
Bandhive on Facebook
Artists and Music
The Legend of Zelda theme
Bring Me The Horizon
Fountains of Wayne
Companies, Venues, and Gear
The Viper Room
Photo Finish Records
The Knitting Factory
Grou.ps (no longer exists)
J.J. Italiano (no active website)
Episode Transcript (automatic – excuse errors)